Sunday, March 21, 2010

A New Way Forward

Hello and thanks to everyone who has emailed asking for an update on Hitler! I am excited to share that Hitler is now an employee with YRGCARE, the NGO that I have been working with during my time here in India. He is driving autos for our Kathir project, delivering the meals from the kitchen to their vending spots each day. The vendors are all women who are affected by HIV/AIDS or domestic violence, and Hitler is really enjoying working with them (and the vendors that I have talked to seem to really enjoy Hitler's charisma as well). The job is a blend of social service and traditional work, which Hitler really enjoys, and the position has given him a steady source of income.



Recently, over a cup of tea, I asked Hitler more about what he thought of the new position. He said that he was very grateful for it, though the pay was lower than what he could earn as a regular auto driver. He said that he still dreamed of owning his own auto; eyes sparkling, he took my hand in his as he described his new life plan.

"Nicole, Kathir work is good work, helping good women. I like this work, and stay with this job for a long time. But, if a new auto is possible, then TWO jobs Hitler can work! All days working for Jaindee and my new baby. Then, Sundays, that auto can be social service auto! Bakkalam (maybe), God blessing, this plan is good plan and will have forward movement."

Hitler was trembling with excitement as he quickly continued to describe all of the social service that he could do with his new auto. The fact that he is so committed to helping others was one of the reasons that I found him so unique to begin with. As I've mentioned before, Hitler would always take time to help Jaindee and her handicapped colleagues get to to and from work. In addition, he also volunteers at a school called Little Hearts, which works with mentally and physically handicapped children. Hitler spends time not only transporting the kids if needed, but using his infectious smile to cheer them up and get them engaged. He once described how he was often able to make connections with even the most despondent of children, who seem to really respond to his playfulness.

I still want to help to make Hitler's dream possible. As I'm entering into the last months of my fellowship here, I am hoping to keep collecting donations until May. My Indian neighbors here have even gotten involved, and have been requesting donations on Hitler's behalf from their families and friends as well. Between their donations, what I can raise, and Hitler's family savings, I believe that it is definitely possible. Hitler has saved almost half of the cost - 18,000 Rs, or about $400 - and I know that the remaining 30,000 Rs is possible.

If you can spare a few dollars, all of them go so far here. No matter what else I do this year, I would be most proud if my last view at the airport was Hitler waving from his own auto.

No comments:

Post a Comment